Providing support and hospitality for those ‘escaping’ the hospital setting.
Our Ronald McDonald Family Room serves caregivers and families whose children receive care on the fifth floor oncology and hematology unit within the AFLAC Cancer and Blood Disorder Center of Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta — Scottish Rite. This private area is 450 square feet and open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the weekends and holidays.
Family Room Staff and Volunteers provide hospitality for those who seek respite. When available, meals are provided by volunteers throughout the week. During open hours, families can prepare meals in our cozy kitchen area, enjoy snacks and find comfortable, relaxed seating. Our kitchen area includes access to a sink, a convection microwave oven to heat meals and a family refrigerator and freezer to store personal food.
Ronald McDonald Family Room Programs, just as Ronald McDonald Houses, serve as a medical free environment within the hospital. Hospital personnel and staff are asked to utilize other areas on the unit for medical treatments, therapies, evaluations and consultations.
Services Offered to Families
- When available, daily meals are provided by volunteers
- Kitchen area with a family refrigerator and freezer, sink and convection microwave oven
- Complimentary coffee, water, pastries and snacks
- Comfortable, relaxed seating
- Small semi-private area that serves as a workspace for personal devices